If you’re anything like us, then three of your favorite indulgences include wine, cheese, and dessert. Lucky for all of us, pairing the three is considered a norm because of how they can compliment one another. The tricky part is knowing what works best together, which is why we decided to create a sample menu. You’ll find examples of what cheeses and desserts to pair with your wine whether it’s a bold red or a mild white. Take a look at our sample menu and read our tips below to find out what makes a perfect pairing.
Cheese Pairing Tips:
- The harder the cheese, the bolder and darker the wine.
- The softer the cheese, the lighter the wine.
- Try to keep characteristics alike (mild wine, mild cheese.) Although exceptions do occur. For example, Pinot Noir is food friendly and pairs great with mild mozzarella.
- Serve cheese at room temperature. White wine should be served chilled and red wine should be served just below room temperature.
Dessert Pairing Tips:
- The darker the dessert, the darker the wine.
- The lighter the dessert, the lighter the wine.
- Generally, the dessert should be sweeter than the wine.
- Desserts that include fruit, work best with wines that are sweeter than the dessert itself. This is because fruit has a wide range of acidity.
All in all, it really comes down to your taste preferences. But these are good guidelines to get you started! Do you have a favorite wine and cheese pairing? How about a wine and dessert pairing? We would love to hear your favorites.